The 2014 Local Government Elections will be held on SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 15, 2014. New Provincial legislation, which received Royal Assent on May 29th, extends the term of office from 3 to 4 years starting with the 2014 election. The new legislation also established that the next local elections after November 2014, will be held in October, 2018.
Following important dates for the 2014 Election (District of Summerland):
- Nomination Packages to be available for distribution: August 22nd, 2014 (Municipal Hall)
- Nomination Period: 9:00 am Tuesday, September 30th, 2014 to 4:00 pm Friday, October 10th, 2014.
- Declaration of Candidates: 4:00 pm Friday, October 10th, 2014.
- Notice of Election: Thursday, October 16th, 2014 (first day to publish) – November 8th, 2014 (last day)
- Last Day to Withdraw Candidacy: Friday, October 17th, 2014
- Advance Voting Days: November 5th and 12th, 2014 from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm (Council Chambers)
- General Voting Day: Saturday, November 15th, 2014 (Summerland Secondary School and Giants Head Elementary School) from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm
Running for Council
Summerland will elect one Mayor, six Councillors and two School Trustees (School District 67).
Nomination packages will be available for pick up at Municipal Hall starting August 22, 2014. To run for office candidates must be nominated by two qualified electors. The nomination period will take place from September 30th to October 10th.
In order to run for Council you must meet the following criteria:
- Be 18 years of age or older on general voting day.
- Be a Canadian Citizen (landed immigrants who are not yet Canadian Citizens are not qualified).
- Be a resident of BC for at least 6 months prior to filing nomination papers.
- Not be disqualified by the Local Government Act or any other enactment from being nominated for, being elected to, or holding the office, or be otherwise disqualified by law.
Candidates do not have to be residents of Summerland or own property in Summerland.
Council holds two meetings on the 2nd and 4th Monday of each month - one meeting in the morning and one in the evening. Council members also attend numerous other meetings, conferences and events. Currently the Mayor receives $26,956 and Councillors receive $11,923 per annum.
For more information on nominations, running for Council or voting, please visit our website or call Maureen Fugeta, Corporate Officer at 250-404-4057.
Working the Municipal Election
The District of Summerland is looking for election workers for the Municipal Election and the Advance Voting opportunities prior to Election Day. Election workers will be expected to work from approximately 7:30 am to 8:30 pm on November 15, 2014 and to attend at least one training session prior to Election Day. We will also need workers to work for the Advance Voting on Wednesday, November 5th and 12th from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm at Municipal Hall. The pay rate is $15.00 per hour.
Completed application forms can be dropped off at the Administration (Reception), Municipal Hall, 13211 Henry Avenue, Summerland, B.C. to the attention of Chief Election Officer by October 3, 2014. You can print this Application Form (PDF 19KB) or pick one up at Municipal Hall.
Municipal Elections 2014 – Contact Information
For answers to questions about LECFA election advertising, third party advertising sponsors and campaign financing rules, please contact Elections BC toll-free at: 1-855-952-0280; or by email at: email@example.com.
For answers to questions about municipal, regional district or trust area elections administration, please contact the Ministry’s Governance and Structure Branch at: 250-387-4020 or visit www.cscd.gov.bc.ca/lgd/elections_home.htm for more information.
Jeremy Denegar, Director of Corporate Services
Chief Election Officer
Interested in Running for Council?
Read "What Every Candidate Needs to Know" (PDF 1.4MB).